Monday, July 20, 2009

Raspberries and Wine


Anyone who has raspberry bushes knows what I have been doing several times a day every day for the past 3 weeks! Yes, it's been a bumper crop of berries. I have created pies and more pies, muffins and more pies. I have frozen them by the bag full! There is absolutely NOTHING to compare to having raspberries in vanilla yogurt in February. You are instantaneously transported back to July. Heaven.

Now I don't want to mislead you into thinking I didn't have any help with the picking. But first, flash back a to a year ago to when my helper, Rory was around. Rory would sit patiently by the bushes as I picked. There would be a raspberry for me, one for Rory, and one for the basket as I went merrily picking along. That dog could catch a raspberry tossed at him from any angle. He was a dead-eye! Fast forward to Maggie (aka: Pac-man as shown above). So much work to do on that dog - so little time (and energy!)

Anyway, I got to thinking as I was picking, how growing raspberries is very much like growing grapes (but on a MUCH less intense scale). I worry about how low I trimmed the plants during the fall and winter. I obsess over the little berries as they sprout in the Spring: Will this be a good crop? Will it be too wet or dry this season? As the berries develop, then pop, I become concerned with mold, spots on the fruit, too many berries together on one branch. And now as the picking winds down, I am already planning my growing strategy for next year. Is it worth it? You bet, especially in those seemingly endless days of winter. Just as a smooth, deep red Cabernet Franc or Merlot is well worth the effort as you sip it by the fire on a cold winter's night.

No comments: